On Our Shelves Now
Pack a lunch, lace up your boots, and head out to discover the best hiking trails in the Golden State with Moon California Hiking.
- A Hike for Everyone: Pick the right hike for you, from breathtaking coastal walks to challenging backcountry treks, with options ranging from easy day hikes to multi-day backpacking trips
- Best Hikes Lists: Choose from strategic lists of the best hikes for kids, bird-watching, redwoods, vivid fall colors, waterfalls, wheelchair-accessibility, and more
- Essential Planning Details: Each hike is marked with round-trip distance and estimated hiking time, as well as rated for scenic beauty and trail difficulty
- Maps and Directions: Find easy-to-use maps, driving directions to each trailhead, and details on where to park
- Skip the Crowds: Have the trail to yourself with recommended off-the-radar hikes
- Expert Advice: Seasoned hikers Tom Stienstra and Ann Marie Brown offer their trusted insight and honest opinions on each trail
- Tips and Tools: Advice on gear, first aid, camping permits, and ethical hiking, plus background information on climate, landscape, and wildlife
Whether you're a veteran or a first-time hiker, Moon's comprehensive coverage and honest expertise will have you gearing up for your next adventure.
Exploring more of the Golden State? Try Moon California Camping. Hitting the road? Check out Moon California Road Trip.
About the Author
For more than 30 years, Tom Stienstra's full-time job has been to capture and communicate the outdoor experience. He has hiked 25,000 miles, caught world-record fish, led dozens of expeditions, and is a certified pilot.
Tom is the nation's top-selling author of outdoors guidebooks. He is the outdoor writer for the San Francisco Chronicle and broadcasts a weekly radio show, Tom Stienstra's Outdoors Reports, on KCBS-San Francisco. His documentary on the Tuolumne River received an Emmy in 2017. Tom has been inducted into the California Outdoors Hall of Fame, has been named California Outdoor Writer of the Year five times, and received the President's Choice Award (Newspaper/Website) from the Outdoor Writer's Association of America three times.
The author of 13 outdoor guidebooks, Ann Marie Brown is a dedicated California outdoorswoman. She hikes, bikes, and camps more than 150 days a year in an effort to avoid routine, complacency, and getting a real job.
Ann Marie's work has appeared in Sunset, VIA, Backpacker, and California magazines. As a way of giving back a little of what she gets from her experiences in nature, she writes and edits for several environmental groups, including the Sierra Club and National Resources Defense Council.
"If you’ve ever hiked, camped, backpacked, fished or in any way outdoor-recreated in Northern California, it’s almost guaranteed you’ve garnered guidance from Tom Stienstra. In his four decades as The San Francisco Chronicle’s outdoors writer, Steinstra’s newspaper columns, guidebooks and appearances on television and radio have made him the Yoda of the California outdoors. He’s been everywhere and he knows everything."—Datebook, San Francisco Chronicle