Whether you're camping among towering redwoods, along rugged coastline, or in the High Sierra, you'll always find your perfect campsite with Moon Northern California Camping.
- A Campsite for Everyone: Pick the right tent or RV site with options ranging from secluded Sierra hike-ins to convenient roadside stopovers, including dog-friendly, family-friendly, and wheelchair accessible options, and strategic lists of the best campgrounds for hiking, swimming, and more
- Ratings and Essentials: All campgrounds are rated on a scenic scale and marked with amenities like restrooms, trailhead access, picnic areas, laundry, piped water, showers, and playgrounds
- Recreation Highlights: Discover nearby hiking, swimming, fishing, biking, water-skiing, white water rafting, and hot springs
- Maps and Directions: Easy-to-use maps and detailed driving directions for each campground
- Skip the Crowds: Moon Northern California Camping contains many secluded spots and campgrounds that aren't available in the state's online reservation system
- Trailhead Access Campgrounds: Find sites that offer access to the John Muir Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and more, plus essential information on hiking
- Expert Advice: Expert outdoorsman Tom Stienstra knows his stuff; he's hiked 25,000 miles in and around these campgrounds for over 30 years
- Tips and Tools: Information on equipment, food and cooking, first aid, and insect protection, plus background on the climate, landscape, and history of the campsites
Exploring more of the Golden State? Try Moon California Camping. Looking for some focused advice on outdoor recreation? Check out Moon California Hiking.
About the Author
For over 30 years, Tom Stienstra's full-time job has been to capture and communicate the outdoor experience. This has led him across California - fishing, hiking, camping, boating, biking, and flying - searching for the best of the outdoors and then writing about it.
Tom is the nation's top-selling author of outdoors guidebooks. His documentary on the Tuolumne River received an Emmy in 2017. He has been inducted into the California Outdoor Hall of Fame and has twice been awarded National Outdoor Writer of the Year, newspaper division, by the Outdoor Writers Association of America. He has also been named California Outdoor Writer of the Year five times, most recently in 2007. Tom is the outdoors columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle; his articles appear on sfgate.com and in newspapers around the country. He also broadcasts a weekly radio show on KCBS-San Francisco.
Tom lives in Northern California. You can contact him directly via the website tomstienstra.com. His guidebooks include:
Moon California Hiking (with Ann Marie Brown)
Moon California Fishing
Moon Northern California Camping
Moon Northern California Hiking (with Ann Marie Brown)
Moon Oregon Camping
Moon Pacific Northwest Camping
Moon Washington Camping
Moon West Coast RV Camping
"If you’ve ever hiked, camped, backpacked, fished or in any way outdoor-recreated in Northern California, it’s almost guaranteed you’ve garnered guidance from Tom Stienstra. In his four decades as The San Francisco Chronicle’s outdoors writer, Steinstra’s newspaper columns, guidebooks and appearances on television and radio have made him the Yoda of the California outdoors. He’s been everywhere and he knows everything."—Datebook, San Francisco Chronicle